Your Passport: the first step to travel safely

Mujer feliz con pasaporte

Your Passport: the first step to travel safely

Whether you are looking to migrate permanently, visit your relatives in another country, do an exchange or simply go on vacation, the first step is always to have a valid and valid passport. And we have good news for you: it's a lot easier than you think! 

First things first: what is a passport? 

A passport is a document with international validity issued by the authorities of its respective country, which accredits a permit or legal authorization to leave or enter the country.

How to obtain a passport?

The first thing to do is to visit the website of the institution in charge of issuing them in your country. We will start the work for you, and we leave you a summary of the institutions that issue them in each country.



Issuing Authority




Secretaría de Relaciones Exteriores 

1470MXN-3505 MXN depending on validity and other characteristics  


Instituto Guatemalteco de Migración 

50USD y 85 USD,  depending on validity and type.  

El Salvador 

Migración y Extranjería 

25 USD  


Instituto Nacional de Migración  

35USD- 50 USD, depending on validity and type. 

Costa Rica 

Dirección General de Migración y Extranjería 

75 USD  


Autoridad de Pasaportes de Panamá 

103 Balboas  

Note: Data obtained on May 19, 2022.   

It is important to keep in mind that the requirements will vary depending on the case (for example, for adults or if you are a minor) and several countries allow you to obtain a passport with a validity of up to 10 years for an additional fee. 

Did you know that... some Central American countries allow their citizens to travel without a passport between their territories?

The Central American Free Mobility Agreement (CA-4), incorporated since 1991 to the Central American Integration System, allows citizens of Guatemala, Honduras, El Salvador and Nicaragua to travel freely between these four countries, presenting their national identity document and with expedited immigration procedures as long as they are of legal age. If you are a minor, immigration authorities will require written permission from your mother and father.  

Learn more about your passport: the Passport Index page allows you to find out which countries you can enter without a visa with your national passport and compare it with those of other countries. Explore it here. 


Compartir en: